fbpx

BayBuzz

Menu

Community

Life goes on in HB… Here’s who and how

image description

Hazlehurst pushing construction

Community

Hastings mayor Sandra Hazlehurst is hoping the Government will ease up on rigid Resource Management and consenting requirements for pending construction projects to streamline Hawke’s Bay economic recovery. Mayor Hazlehurst says the national process is an impediment to local concessions…

Keith Newman27 April 2020

image description

Getting money savvy ... start 'em young

Community

For too many it’s taken a lifetime of painful mistakes and incidental experiences to acquire an understanding of how to manage our financial affairs. Many of us realize too late how important it is to build an asset base and…

Kay Bazzard23 April 2020

image description

Art in my bubble

Community

I am not really alone. I share my bubble with art works which  continue to challenge, delight and talk to me. These are two of my favourites. “Fairground”  by Gary Waldrom If any artist is truly a product of Hawke’s…

Roy Dunningham22 April 2020

image description

Music Teachers Rock

Community

Teachers may have class but music teachers rock. School’s back. My little chickens are sequestered in various corners tippy-tapping on the qwerty or zooming with class mates: cell bio in the study, cartography in the front room, Romans in the…

Jess Soutar Barron21 April 2020

image description

For the love of dog

Community

As a bookseller and dog lover I’m more likely to become emotionally involved with a fictional dog character than with many real-life humans… and it’s not just me. Seeing life through a canine lens is appealing. Dogs have a habit…

Louise Ward20 April 2020

image description

Feijoa Fever

Community

Covid-19 has struck smack dab in the middle of an important cultural fixture in New Zealand’s calendar. Customs and rituals are being impinged upon as we bubble-up and keep to ourselves. I’m referring of course to the annual feijoa harvest…

Jess Soutar Barron17 April 2020

image description

Hawke's Bay life in the 60s

Community

Editor’s Note: Local author and BayBuzz writer Mark Sweet recently wrote The History Speech, a fictional account of Hawke’s Bay life in the 60s (or is it real?). This account describing from where/whom he drew his inspiration might entice you to…

Mark Sweet17 April 2020

image description

Life in Paradisolation

Community

The sun is shining in that liminal space between summer and autumn as leaves carpet the ground after their last grasp, while bold blackbirds harvest the remaining shrivelled grapes and ants drain the juice leaving dry shells on the vine.…

Keith Newman16 April 2020

image description

All Fired Up

Community

As a ceramics practitioner I am excited to be part of a resurgence in clay-making not seen since pottery’s heyday in the 1960-80s when Barry Brickell in Coromandel was up to his elbows in mud at Driving Creek and pottery…

Kay Bazzard15 April 2020

image description

Healthy Homes

Community

The Hawke’s Bay Regional Council’s Sustainable Homes programme is having a positive effect, with strong uptake in 2019 leading to healthier homes throughout the region. The programme was created for Hawke’s Bay people and their homes to be more sustainable…

BayBuzz Team14 April 2020

image description

Free Reading Material from VUP

Community

Running low on books? Victoria University Press to the rescue! The team from VUP last week dropped a free e-Reader featuring work from 42 of their stable of New Zealand writers. It’s downloadable here as a pdf and features fiction,…

Lizzie Russell13 April 2020

image description

The Family Farm in 2030

Community

The sun sets on another beautiful autumn day at Mangarara – The Family Farm, near the thriving community of Elsthorpe in Hawke’s Bay. It’s early April 2030 and I am reflecting on the last decade since the Covid-19 virus changed the…

Greg Hart11 April 2020

image description

Artists in Lockdown

Community

This week I have been ringing around my artist friends to see how they are getting on under the Covid-19 lockdown. One of the pleasures in gathering information for this piece is that I need to talk to people, and…

Kay Bazzard10 April 2020

image description

5G is coming ... like it or not!

Community

Modern technology including personal and household electronic devices – has brought many opportunities and changed the way we communicate and do business. On the flip side, there has always been controversy around the safety of these devices regarding our exposure…

Hazel Thomas10 April 2020

image description

Choosing a school for your child

Community

You’ve just got the kids off to school and now it’s time to start thinking about their next steps. Most secondary schools will be hosting Information Evenings or Open Days in the next month and that’s a good place to…

Jess Soutar Barron09 April 2020

image description

Visit the Library and the Aquarium Online

Community

The Team at Napier Libraries have just added video to their website, providing handy tips on using the range of digital services. Options for online content include downloadable movies and courses (Kanopy), E-Audio and E-Books, as well as a range…

Lizzie Russell08 April 2020

image description

Be Kind

Community

I sat in the supermarket car park. 1.30pm Monday the 23rdof March 2020. The announcement. I felt shaky, a bit teary. Someone remarked it felt like war. Messages have been clear and strong and with each panui comes the phrase,…

Mary Kippenberger08 April 2020

image description

Tiny Tohu

Community

Teddy Bears guide me from place to place as I bravely set out on daily dog walks. Widely publicised so you will have seen them yourselves, they’re peeping from curtains, or in acrobatic piles on windowsills, some wearing mini-facemasks. Those…

Jess Soutar Barron07 April 2020

image description

Virtual MTG visit

Community

The physical doors to MTG Hawke’s Bay may be closed, but you can still get an arts and heritage fix thanks to the magic of the internet. Explore the Hawke’s Bay Museum Trust’s collection online here. Item listings are organised…

Lizzie Russell03 April 2020

image description

Holly Bacon to rescue

Community

Local favourite the Holly Bacon Company have pivoted quickly amidst the new world order and are now offering home deliveries of their own products plus kitchen staples like bread, milk, other dairy and fresh produce. Think Origin Earth milk and…

BayBuzz Team03 April 2020

Our free weekly email update reporting
on HB's important stuff